Kremmling is located at the center of the triangle created by Summit County, Winter Park and Steamboat Springs. If you are flying in, visit the Airport page for information about landing at McElroy Field.
From I-70 West or Eastbound:
Route 1 - via Highway 9
(Recommended route during winter months - September through April.)
- Take Exit 205 (Silverthorne/Dillon).
- Proceed north on Hwy 9 through Silverthorne.
- Kremmling is approximately 37 miles north of Silverthorne. Note that there is a no-cell zone that begins at Everist Materials in Silverthorne. You won't have cell service until approximately five miles north of Green Mountain Reservoir.
- Turn left at the stoplight where Hwy 9 ends, intersecting with US 40.
- Kremmling's downtown area is just two blocks from that intersection.
Route 2 - via Highway 1, Trough Road
Trough Road is a 24.4-mile winding, hard-packed dirt mountain drive that has amazing views and breathtaking hairpin turns. Trough Road links Hwy 131 to SH 9 showcasing some of Grand County's spectacular landscapes. The route is ideal for an authentic mountain drive or access to off-roading. Stop at Inspiration Point for views of Gore Canyon.
- Take Exit 157 (Wolcott / SH 131).
- Follow the signs to 131 through Wolcott.
- Continue north on 131 to State Bridge.
- Just after crossing the Colorado River, take a right onto Hwy 1 / Trough Road at State Bridge.
- Trough Road ends at Hwy 9 just south of Kremmling. Turn left to continue on to Kremmling.
From Winter Park, Fraser, Granby and Grand Lake:
- Travel west on Hwy 40 along the Colorado River through Hot Sulphur Springs and Byers Canyon.
- Kremmling is approximately 17 miles west of Hot Sulphur Springs.
Be alert for wildlife, including deer and elk!
From Steamboat Springs:
- Travel east on Hwy 40 across Rabbit Ears Pass.
- Kremmling is approximately 52 miles from Steamboat taking this route.
Alternate route from Steamboat Springs / Gore Pass:
- Turn right onto Hwy 131 just outside (east) of Steamboat Springs, toward Oak Creek.
- Travel through the Yampa Valley and its quaint towns.
- At the small town of Toponas, bear left (east) onto Hwy 134.
- 134 traverses Gore Pass, which can be icy and snow packed in winter months (September - April).
- When 134 ends at Hwy 40, turn right (east) toward Kremmling.